Temple Open House - My work shift
I had a wonderful time working at the temple on Friday night. My shift was from 5 to 9pm, but I didn't go home until 9:45. My official assignment was to be an exterior rotating usher. At the start of my shift, no one needed to go on break, so they asked me if I would be willing to push wheelchairs. Soon after, a long-time friend of the family pulled up right next to where I was. I brought a wheelchair over for him, and told him that I would be pushing him through his tour. He tried to protest, but I insisted. I got to talk to him as we waited for his wife & friends to catch up. His wife expressed relief to see that she would not be the one pushing. It was a wonderful experience. I loved to be able to go through the tour again. After that, I was all smiles until I left that night.
Next, I watched the end of the standby line to make sure visitors were in the right line. Then I got my break. I ate cashews and cookies for dinner. I forgot to pack something ahead of time, so I grabbed the cashews as I headed out the door. The cookies were extras from the treat they gave out at the end of the tour. Then I got to stand by the back door of the temple and point in the direction visitors needed to go. After that, I wandered around looking for my supervisor to find another spot to work. I got to be near the other back door, pointing down the correct path. By that time, almost all the tours were done, and workers were starting to be sent home. I was sent home after I found a ride.
When I got home, I found out that Anna had been pretty happy. She cried when she wasn't held or the boys weren't playing with her, but was otherwise content. Tom didn't try to give her a bottle; he just gave her crackers. She was asleep by the time I got in, and didn't wake back up until 4:30am. I was full to bursting, but I was so grateful that she was so good for Tom!
Another little miracle that Tom mentioned a little on his blog is from when we went on the temple tour with the kids. I really wanted to take a picture to help the boys remember. First, it was wonderful that a worker from parking ran over to take a picture of the whole family. I pulled out the camera and turned it on. It almost immediately turned off. Knowing how this camera usually behaves, I started to put it away, figuring that we would have to come back later. Tom asked me to try turning it back on. I figured that we didn't have anything to lose. It turned on, and we were able to get the picture posted. We took a few more pictures of the boys, but all of those ones turned out a little dark. We had just enough batteries for one good picture.
Well, I get to go clean the temple on Friday to prepare it for the dedication. I'm excited to be able to help a little bit.
Next, I watched the end of the standby line to make sure visitors were in the right line. Then I got my break. I ate cashews and cookies for dinner. I forgot to pack something ahead of time, so I grabbed the cashews as I headed out the door. The cookies were extras from the treat they gave out at the end of the tour. Then I got to stand by the back door of the temple and point in the direction visitors needed to go. After that, I wandered around looking for my supervisor to find another spot to work. I got to be near the other back door, pointing down the correct path. By that time, almost all the tours were done, and workers were starting to be sent home. I was sent home after I found a ride.
When I got home, I found out that Anna had been pretty happy. She cried when she wasn't held or the boys weren't playing with her, but was otherwise content. Tom didn't try to give her a bottle; he just gave her crackers. She was asleep by the time I got in, and didn't wake back up until 4:30am. I was full to bursting, but I was so grateful that she was so good for Tom!
Another little miracle that Tom mentioned a little on his blog is from when we went on the temple tour with the kids. I really wanted to take a picture to help the boys remember. First, it was wonderful that a worker from parking ran over to take a picture of the whole family. I pulled out the camera and turned it on. It almost immediately turned off. Knowing how this camera usually behaves, I started to put it away, figuring that we would have to come back later. Tom asked me to try turning it back on. I figured that we didn't have anything to lose. It turned on, and we were able to get the picture posted. We took a few more pictures of the boys, but all of those ones turned out a little dark. We had just enough batteries for one good picture.
Well, I get to go clean the temple on Friday to prepare it for the dedication. I'm excited to be able to help a little bit.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home